Monday, April 11, 2016

DOC HOLLIDAY'S MOST WANTED NEWSLETTER VOL. #45

DOC HOLLIDAY'S
141 Avenue A, NYC
HOURS: Open 7 days a week 12pm-4am since 1994


THE OG NYC HONKY TONK BORN IN THE 90's
THE SOLE SURVIVOR LAST ONE STANDING!!!



















































SCHEDULE WEEK:  April 11-17th

MONDAY
AM Christina
PM  Nicole

TUESDAY
AM Tory
PM  Julia

WEDNESDAY
AM Laura 
PM Christina

THURSDAY 
AM Nicole
PM  Laura

FRIDAY 
AM Joanna (Happy Birthday Joanna Party!)
PM Christina & Nicole 

SATURDAY
AM Joanna 
PM Julia & Laura

SUNDAY
AM Nicole 
PM Tory

STAFF MEMBER OF THE WEEK

 Cause it's both Joanna's 22nd (and Doc Holliday's) anniversary, April 6th and also her birthday, April 17th. APRIL!

Drink Special: Jo Vodka: any vodka shot $6

1. Where did you grow up?
Born in Tarrytown, NY. Moved to Newtown Square, PA, at 2 years old, then Philadelphia in the 6th grade, then to NYC to go to NYU. Been here since...

2. What was your first experience with alcohol?
My parents were "liberal" and let me and my sister drink wine with dinner before we were of legal age. I remember my mom drinking bottles of rolling rock with dinner, and cocktails made with Dubonnet, Campari, or Gin & Tonics, when they had company over. 

My first "bad experience" with alcohol was at Betsy Rubel's house; we thought it was a cool idea to drink Absolut and OJ before the freshman dance. We drank about half the bottle between us and by the time we arrived at the dance (driven by a friend's older brother), we both went straight to the girl's locker room. I could hear Betsy in the neighboring stall, as we were both heaving over the toilets. The school had to call our parents to come pick us up. The following week, after much deliberations by the principal and faculty, we were both suspended for 3 days. We became very popular due to being perceived as rebellious, boozing, teenagers. As a result, I was then invited to all the older students parties where booze was served. 

3. What was your first time at Doc Holliday's?
I had applied for a job at Hogs and Heifers, but the owners of Doc's were actually "interviewing" bartenders for a similar honky tonk on the other side of town. I had gone in to Hogs and was told to return on a Friday night, to "see if I liked it". I went there with my friend Beth, and at some point I wound up dancing on the bar. When I got down, Tom McNeil (Village Idiot, The Patriot, Yogi's fame, etc) who was then an owner in Doc's asked me if I wanted to bartend at Doc Holliday's and introduced me to the Dave McWater, the primary owner...and I was told to go by the bar the following week. And...I was hired and started working there on April 6, 1994...

4. What's your favorite jukebox song? 
Very hard choice. I'm going to say anything by Cash, Dwight, Haggard, or Waylon. I just can't pick one. 

5. What's your favorite Doc's story?
Oi, so many favorites, but I'd have to say the time I told this young guy with long hair he needed to cut his hair to get chicks...so he agreed to let me cut it off over the bar. SO I cut it off, over the bar, and...drumroll, he left with a cute chick that night!

6. What's your favorite thing about Doc Holliday's?
The jukebox, the staff, the patrons. The regulars are the heart of the bar, and we wouldn't have lasted as long as we have without their continued support. I love that we refuse to close during times of crisis, like 9-11 or Hurricane Sandy. We strive to remain a true neighborhood bar, with and old school vibe. It's a place where you can feel like you are in a bubble where it's a always a party, and whatever real world problems exist, can be put on hold, if only for a few hours...





No comments:

Post a Comment